Thursday, February 19, 2009

Circling Storks




The night of our honeymoon was wonderful. Although, I now wish that the two of us had taken the day off from work. We both overslept ... being so exhausted from our rather vigorous and extended celebration of our marriage.

Simmer's Note: Yes, Lydia is nekkid in the background there. I have that hack that allows them to sleep nekkid ... *grins*



Lydia even ended up being late to work (I managed to make my carpool in time).



It's lucky for her that she has such a good reputation there ... or she couldn't have done me this favor. I love my wife. She's so good to me.



The sun was just starting to set when we both arrived home from work. We could tell that spring was coming, because the snowman I had built was starting to melt. She thought it looked a little bit like someone we'd seen walk by the house once or twice.



I was just about to comment on that when she made this interesting noise before dashing into the house.



Concerned, I followed after her ... she who made a beeline to the bathroom.

Joseph: Lyds, are you okay, sweetheart?

Lydia: I'm ... *MPH* ... okay ... *GAK* ...



As she knelt there on the hard bathroom floor, I began to worry that perhaps she'd picked up some bug ... the flu maybe. She did wear her good dress and heels out in a foot of snow last night. I, at least, had my legs covered. Maybe she caught a chill?



But shortly after cleaning up, she seemed fine. She assured me several times that night that she was okay.

Joseph: Are you SURE you're okay? Maybe we should call the doctor. It's better to be safe than sorry, you know.

Lydia: I really am fine, Joseph. Maybe I ate some bad shrimp or something at work.

Joseph: Well ... if you're sure ...

Lydia: I am ...

Maybe I was the worrying type. I just got married. I just got promoted. Things were going my way. Now would be the perfect time for Murphy's Law to drop an anvil on my happy bubble.



Lydia was the most important sim in my life and I didn't want anything bad to happen to her. After all ... we DID work in a hospital. A sick-person's haven. And with the latest flu epidemic floating around ... it was entirely possible she was incubating something nasty. I vowed to keep a close eye on her for any turns for the worse.



A large part of me already knew that Lydia knew how to take care of herself. She'd done it for a number of years before she walked into my life. I was certain that if she felt something was wrong ... she'd tell me.



She loved me after all. Sure, she probably wouldn't want to worry me, but I worry more when I don't know what's going on.



The next morning, she begged me to make her a bowl of macaroni and cheese ... for BREAKFAST. I nearly turned green at the thought ... but she said she had a craving for it. I wasn't about to deny her anything ... just to make certain that she kept up her strength. I didn't want her catching that bug going around Belladonna Cove (Mark II).





Even the local paper was saying something about something "going around". One minute, a sim felt fine and in the next moment ...





Uhh ... what was I ... where was? *scratches head* Uhh ...

Joseph: Lydia ... wasn't I just outside getting the paper?

Lydia: You brought that in a couple of hours ago, sweetie. Are ... are YOU feeling okay?

That was very odd. I knew I'd just been outside getting the paper. And now ... I was inside gathering simoleons from our small orchard of money trees. The episode sorta felt like that time when I returned home from the club. Strange. *scratches head*



I quickly put that odd moment in my life behind me. As I sat down to read the morning paper I found it. I finally FOUND it!! The career I'd been searching for since coming to Belladonna Cove (Mark II). ENTERTAINMENT. I knew that through that career field, I could finally reach my ultimate goal of being the SimWorld's greatest Prestidigitator! I was so excited and full of zeal and energy that I was promoted on my first day.



I slept like a log that night ... dreaming of the millions of sims I would mesmerize one day.



When I woke the next morning, it was to find Lydia already awake and staring at me, her dark as night hair spread over her pillow like a fan. Her expression was serious for such an early part of the morning. I blinked at her, waiting for her to say something ... knowing that she had something she wanted to say. She blinked back at me ... then she slid closer and rested her head on my chest. I put my arm around her and tucked her against me. She was quiet for a time before she started speaking.

Lydia: Joseph ...

Joseph: Mmm?

Lydia: How ...?

She stopped speaking and was silent for a minute as if gathering her thoughts together, then she hesitantly started up again.

Lydia: Do you ...?

She paused again and frowned, her expression frustrated. I squeezed her in a one-armed hug, silently urging her to continue.

Lydia: What do you think about ...?

When she stopped again, I became a little worried. What was it that she needed to tell me at such an early moment of the day that was causing her such difficulties in just forming the words? Attempting to fortify her courage, I kissed her temple gently and spoke softly into her ear.

Joseph: Lydia, what is it? I'm sure whatever it is can't be as bad or awful as you are making it seem by not getting out what you want to say. I'm sure whatever it is, we'll work it out together.

She was silent for a very short moment after that before she blurted out what was on her mind.



PREGNANT!!



I was the happiest birthday mascot in Belladonna Cove (Mark II). She'd been worried how I would react, since she and I had never really talked about having a family. We just got married after all. I couldn't be happier.



I could barely concentrate at work that evening ... wondering when we had conceived ... wondering if it had been that memorable moment in the photobooth on our first day. I also couldn't help but wonder what it was going to be like to be a father, to bring a little life into the world to mold and shape into a sim who would one day go out in the world to make a name for himself ... or herself. It all made me a little muddled ... and I ended up doing something ... rather rash.



Luckily ... it all worked out. I would make sure from that moment on that I'd have my head on straight. I was going to be a FATHER!!




Back ----- Next ----- Index


8 comments:

Roo said...

aw warm fuzzies ... so many warm fuzzies
grats on the pregnancy!! and woot! finally his dream job is within reach.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on landing the dream job & on the upcoming baybee!

I like the effects on the flaming montage.

Oydie said...

I noticed :D
Wow another blackout, the mystery plottens!
Awww he's gonna be a daddy *melts*.

Anonymous said...

How did he go that long without noticing that she was pregnant? Men, I swear. But hooray on a baby on the way!

kimbalaya said...

Aww, another Joe-baby on the way. And yay for finally finding a job in his dream career!

Mao said...

Wooohooo, baby time! And what's up with the flaming chicks? Poor Joe, this is a bad time. Lydia needs you!

AeronwyDiobhell said...

You'd think they'd be a little understanding, it being their wedding night and all. :-) And yay for promotions!

Woot for babies! *rubs her hands together*

Oh, she caught a bug alright. Just not the type you're thinking of. *beams*

Ooo, Joseph's getting a flash from his old life...

Yay, congrats on finding the perfect job and getting a promotion so quickly!

Lydia, spit it out, before you give the poor boy a heart attack! See? Just getting it out is so much better. :-D

I hope they enjoy the ballet. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm behind on this one. Wow! What a black out he had! Yikes! The flames scared me for a minute there.